Is social distancing making you wonder what to do for the next few weeks? If you have small kids, spending weeks at home, not seeing friends, and avoiding public places could make the time seem to drag on. Our Child Life team at UMass Memorial Children’s Medical Center offers these activities to keep your children engaged while they are away from school during COVID-19 quarantine.
- Play hide and seek.
- Create a scavenger hunt or treasure map to find things around your home.
- Build a fort with pillows and blankets. You can watch movies, read or sleep in this space.
- Make your own bingo game.
- Go on a nature walk and create rubbings or paint the items you find.
- Make letters and numbers in shaving cream.
- Play Simon says, red light/green light, double dutch or hopscotch.
- Get creative! Make things using recycled materials.
- Dress up and have a dance party.
- Involve children in preparing meals (if age appropriate).
- Toss a ball or have a family “pick-up game” of sports.
- Create your own obstacle course or marble run.
- Print coloring sheets and educational worksheets from online.
- Make music with the Chrome Music Lab!
- Build a tower with cups, blocks, pillows, or sticks and marshmallows!
- Clean up around playrooms and bedrooms!
- Go for a nature walk.
Join the conversation. Help other parents and grandparents out by sharing things you’ll be doing to make the time pass.